Wednesday, August 31, 2011

doily fever


I spent this past weekend in a state of total excitement and bliss at the wedding of two of my dearest friends. They being the artistic and crafty diy types that I know and love them to be, there were a number of amazing handcrafted decor items created for their nuptials, and many that I was lucky enough to have a hand in creating. Today's post will be the first in a short series that will detail some of these fine wedding crafts.

Early on, my friends decided that doilies would be a central theme to the celebration, and started thrifting in earnest to amass a very impressive collection of the beautiful handmade creations. From some pinterest perusing, we decided to use the bulk of them to create table runners.



beautiful close up of one of my favourites, reminiscent of a peacock tail fan



dancing the doily jig! laying out enough doilies to create 11 table runners.



handwork - all of the doilies were hand stitched together



we worked together, each at one end of the table, stitching and chatting...



The finished product!

Once I get back some decent shots of the table runners from the wedding, I will share them here..I was running around too much to get a nice one myself!

2 comments:

sweetie pie press said...

the 'peacock fan' is actually, i believe a pineapple motif. these are common in doilies and symbolize hospitality. what a perfect motif for a gathering of friends and family!

kristyn said...

yes, pineapples! in this case, the doily itself is peacock fan shaped, and i love that. i've never heard about the hospitality symbolism, thanks!